Did you know that all berries are ultra-high on the antioxidant scale AND really low on the glycemic index? This means that they are the perfect energizing food – and your body needs quick energy in the morning. Raspberries especially are good for metabolizing body fat, but to me, they are often overly-tart to eat on their own. So give them a squeeze and swirl in some high-protein vanilla Greek yogurt (look for a kind sweetened only with stevia). Lemon zest gives a sunshiny brightness and healing properties!
And, if you get really crafty with it, the bowl could turn out like this! ….or, you could do it the busy-person way, and throw all the goodness in the bowl and be thankful for delicious food, no matter how it looks…
1/4 cup fresh ripe raspberries
1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup mix of fresh blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries cut into large chunks
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon unsweetened shaved coconut flakes
1. In a small serving bowl, add raspberries and mash them with the back of a fork.
2. Scoop in the Greek yogurt, and fold it in with the raspberries, swirling once or twice.
3. Make a little well in the middle where you can scoop in the berries. Sprinkle lemon zest and coconut on top of the berries in the middle. Eat immediately in whatever fashion!
* this recipe can be scaled to serve a larger number of people as a dinner side dish, or for a summer picnic
* leftovers can freeze easily in zip-top bags, and use for smoothies the next day
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Servings Per Recipe: 1
Serving Size: 1 bowl/recipe (1/2 cup yogurt, 3/4 cup fruit, 1 tsp coconut)
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 144, Total Fat 1.4 g, Saturated Fat1 .0 g,
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g, Cholesterol 2.7 mg,
Sodium 30.4 mg, Potassium 94.8 mg, Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g,
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g, Sugars 12.0 g, Protein 11.9 g