There is no wrong way to do this recipe! It’s like a deconstructed omelet. Use the vegetables you most like or have on hand – spinach, mushrooms, etc. Anything will taste great. Egg whites are packed with protein which helps you sustain energy and mood for the rest of the day. Searing zucchini and peppers brings out their flavor, which basil adds a burst of deliciousness and avocado gives a mellow creaminess.
4 large eggs, whites only
1 cup sliced sweet mini peppers (mixture of red, orange, and yellow)
1/2 cup sliced zucchini rounds
1/4 cup loosely packed sprouts
1/4 of an avocado, scooped or sliced
2 yellow cherry tomatoes, sliced
5 basil leaves
optional: 2 slices watermelon radish
1. In a small bowl or mug, beat egg whites with 1 teaspoon water with a fork. Pour egg whites in a skillet on medium-low heat sprayed with cooking spray. Scramble and fold over until fluffy and fully cooked.
2. Put finished egg whites to the side of a breakfast bowl, then respray the skillet with nonstick cooking spray and saute the sliced peppers over medium high heat for about 3 minutes, until they are seared. Put the peppers to the side of the bowl, beside eggs. Then sauté zucchini rounds in the same way, until they are lightly seared. Place seared zucchini next to the peppers.
3. Arrange around the bowl the rest of the ingredients: sprouts, yellow tomatoes, avocado. Place the basil leaves in the center and sprinkle sea salt or your favorite seasoning over the bowl. Enjoy!
– there is no wrong way to do this recipe! It’s like a deconstructed omelet. Use the vegetables you most like or have on hand – spinach, mushrooms, etc. Anything will taste great.
– if you are not a fan of egg whites, use two whole eggs and two egg whites
– by the way, I get lots of questions on the pink item – its watermelon radish! It is not a necessary component of the bowl, we just thought it looked gorgeous for the picture.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Calories 186, Total Fat 7.3 g, Saturated Fat 1.0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.9 g, Monounsaturated Fat 4.2 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 348.0 mg, Potassium 701.3 mg, Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g, Dietary Fiber 6.3 g, Sugars 3.5 g, Protein 17.0 g