Having breakfast prepped and in the refrigerator waiting for you can mean everything when you are trying eat healthy to feel better. This is one of my favorite things to do – stir together oats, a nut milk, and Greek yogurt into a glass jar. Overnight, the oats soak up the liquid just a bit, and are chewy and delicious. You can mash any berry on bottom. It makes an excellent (and cost effective) healthy breakfast ready-to-go! The toasted pecans on top and smooth creamy vanilla flavor give it that “strawberry shortcake” flavor! Yes to a breakfast that tastes like dessert 😉
1/2 cup fresh strawberry chunks, divided
1/4 cup whole rolled oats
1/3 cup coconut milk (from a carton)
1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt, plus more
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pecan pieces, toasted
1. In a small glass jar, add 1/4 cup (a little more if you love them) of the strawberry chunks. Using the back of a fork, mash the strawberries in the bottom.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the oats, coconut milk, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and vanilla until well mixed. Pour it into the glass jar over the strawberries. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. In the morning, top with the rest of the strawberry chunks, another dollop of vanilla Greek yogurt. Sprinkle on pecans. Enjoy!
*I created a version of this for Albertsons Safeway…and you can get more of my healthy and organic recipes on their page!
– I limited this to no added sugar. If you feel like you need it a bit sweeter, I recommend a teaspoon of 100% pure maple syrup or raw local honey.
– Strawberry Shortcake Oats may be quadrupled to make for a group; use an 8×8 pan, and chop up several strawberries for the topping in the morning. Sprinkle on toasted pecans and drizzle with raw honey.
– if no coconut milk is available, almond or cashew milk may be used
– any berry may be used for a different flavor
prep time: 10 minutes
total time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
Serving size: 1
nutrition facts: Calories 250, Total Fat 4.8 g, Saturated Fat 1.3 g,
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 2.8 mg,
Sodium 43.4 mg, Potassium 197.2 mg, Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g,