In my kitchen, we make granola about once a week. Homemade granola is so easy, sooooo much less expensive than store-bought, and so much better because you can control the sugar element! I try to keep granolas to just 5 ingredients in order to stream line the process so I will keep wanting to make it. Simplify = speed!
This granola has two coconut elements – coconut oil, and unsweetened coconut flakes. Look for coconut oil that is the first, unfiltered press, and organic if you can swing it. Unsweetened coconut flakes have a DELICIOUS texture. There are many health benefits of coconut, so don’t let the fat content scare you away. Coconut is a super-nourisher.
1/2 cup raw and local honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 cups whole oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup chopped raw cashews
to sprinkle on top:
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 275º.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk honey and melted coconut oil. Add in all other ingredients, stirring so everything is completely coated.
3. Cover a flat baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour mixture out onto parchment paper and spread into a thin layer. Sprinkle on sesame seeds if you’re using them.
4. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove and stir the mixture with a spatula. Let it cool completely – granola will become crunchy and clump together as it cools. Store in an airtight container.
– You don’t have to use parchment paper, but it accelerates clean up, which means you may enjoy cooking more 😉
– If you notice your granola seems crumbly after baking, that is perfectly normal with this kind of granola. It will clump together and get crunchier as it cools
– Ways to use: take it with you in snack-sized travel bags, eat it with a nut milk, sprinkle it over Greek yogurt, over hot oatmeal to add an extra crunch, or – we even set it out at parties for people to snack on!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Serving size: 1/3 cup
Calories 171, Total Fat 10.3 g, Saturated Fat 7.1 g,
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g,
Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 2.3 mg, Potassium 0.0 mg,
Total Carbohydrate 20.2g, Dietary Fiber 2.0 g, Sugars 10.1 g, Protein 2.5 g